Re: [Planner Dev] Task and resource ordering

J K kirjoitti:
dear planner developers,

Well, there isn't many of us yet...

i have few suggestions:

Suggestions are always welcome, but who will do these..? We have so little resources...

2) "phase-sensitive" view: in every project i can setup phase of project, but i don't see any influence to content of project. i participate in phase of production and i need to know end of the design and developement phase for specifications, but product planning phase is nothing i can change by any way, or no useful infos for my job, only that project is started, production is planned to start that date and which market is the target...
3) "human resource" or "participant" -sensitive view: i don't need to search task, which are assigned to me, i would like to setup in preferences myself as resource -> this may cover view many projects in context and relation. i think this would be really great approvement for self-mannaging. any project planner is useless, if you have not time for this project :) e.g. assigning colors to me (or border colors).
4) "priority"-sensitive view - see above, assigning to priority values meaning would be great for people knowing nothing about number meaning. e.g.: 0 - hard stressing task, necessary to do, 1 - necessary to do, but not to stressing, 2 - not necessary to do.... priority is changing by the time and circumstances, i think would be great to assign numbers in preferences and in tasks assign meanings.

Well these are just different ways to organize tasks, or someone might call there "reports"

And once again, a reguest for multi-project, resource pool support... I think this should be opened as enhancement in bugzilla...

5) odbc instead of postgresql (i'm using postgresql at home, but at work i need store it in oracle.

Well, I think any gda/sql-supported database should do. I would also run this on Oracle... And specially on Windows platform.

6) displaying notes while mouse is over task.

Any ideas how this could achieved..?

7) because native file format is xml, it would be useful to load file from web server. and i/o would be applied by xml-rpc, post or get request to web server.

Well you can put file on webserver, right, where you need xml-rpc?

8) http://www.wfmc.org/ and http://plflow.sourceforge.net/ - this would be interesting sites for people developing planner software, i think :)

Interesting sites and someone could write proper plugin to import/export data from a such workflow system...

9) a little sketch of my experiences with projects (in any terms of meaning - private or job):
person -> roles (priority of roles - this is "human" dependent)
role -> all projects which this role covers
project -> goals, tasks, workflow, participants - i think this is better word than resources, which sounds like machines ;)
task -> requested input, intended output, i/o relations, current stage, notes

Most of things you described are in my environment documented in "project plan"-document. There is stated participants, their roles, project tasks, possible workflow, goals etc.

Suitable stuff from project plan is put in Planner to have a timeline.

Well

if you find this notes useful, would be great, if not throw it away.

Can't. It's duplicated all over the binary space... And feedback is always welcome. At least tells that someone has tried Planner. :)

--

Jani Tiainen