Re: [Planner Dev] Re: [Planner] Database work plan

Hi Lincoln!

Personally I'm happy to see MySQL support being worked on. It seems that databases are a very personal choice, like boxers or briefs. :-) From my own personal experience I love MySQL because it's easy to setup, admin, and develop with. I've had problems with Postgresql, even when trying multiple versions. My all-time favorite database used to be Solid SQL (from solidtech.com). Unfortunately they went for the embedded market and stopped developing/supporting their solid sql database. It was an unlimited use database for USD $99, that supported triggers, stored procedures and had it's own programming language very similar to Oracle's pl/sql. MySQL is very similar in design to Solid Sql btw. As a side note re. triggers, cursors, etc. Banks (at least here in Malaysia) don't allow running software that uses triggers, or stored procedures. It's considered a security issue.... plus you web your software to a particular database for life..

Alex

lincoln phipps openmutual net wrote:

Alvaro del Castillo wrote:

Hi guys!

I have started this morning to work in the database backend in order to
solve the issues we have. Once the database backend is in good shape we
can start thinking in how to use it to implement things like sharing
plans between users or using some web inteface to modify plan data.
Also, we can restart the issue of adding support for other databases
(MySQL seems to be the more loved ;-)).

I wouldn't say more loved - I'm bemused why its always seen as better
than Postgres but I think the reason is that it also runs on Windows.
Nuf said !.

The issue with mysql support is cursors and foreign keys. I think from
around mysql 5.0 onwards we may be OK (with InnoDB tables).