[Planner Dev] Database work plan

Hi guys!

I have started this morning to work in the database backend in order to
solve the issues we have. Once the database backend is in good shape we
can start thinking in how to use it to implement things like sharing
plans between users or using some web inteface to modify plan data.
Also, we can restart the issue of adding support for other databases
(MySQL seems to be the more loved ;-)).

The first thing is to have clear all the problems we have. I have tested
right now the actual state of the backend in CVS and try to access
bugs.gnome.org to see the bugs, but the service seems to be down right
now.

This email from Lincoln seems to be a very good report about the
database status.

http://lists.imendio.com/pipermail/planner-dev/2004-March/000183.html

and I think this issues aren't bugs yet:

------------------------
5) Other bugs (haven't done bugzillas yet);

- No database maintenance - you can't delete a project.
- Saving a project back onto the database adds a new entry
	but no other identification as to which is which.
- The database load orders resource names differently
	from a file-open (at least on my machine).
- Opening up a project from a file and then changing a resource
	unit for an assignment updates gantt correctly
	but opening up a project from a database and then
	changing a resource unit value for an assignment
	doesn't update the gantt [?] value. It does once you
	change the assignment. My guess is a signal not being
	attached for notify::assignment in the parts that
	build up the project from a database.
- changing an assignment unit value doesn't actually mark
	a project as changed when you do a File Close.
----------------------------

The more critical bug I think it is that if you open a project from
database and then save it to the database, it creates a new project in
the database, and doesn't update the loaded one.

Other issue I wil try to solve is the initial creation for the database.
If the database scheme isn't in the database the user says, or if the
database doesn't exists, we will try to create the database and create
all the schemas for it, so the user doesn't need the initial database
stuff setup. She only needs to have a user to access database that can
create databases.

I propose that after talking about all the database issues, we report in
the bugzilla all the work to be done and start working on it.

Cheers

-- Alvaro