Re: [Planner Dev] file locking

On ons, 2004-06-09 at 17:25 -0400, John_Minkle huntalternatives org
wrote:

> There are 6 people who would access the file. Any one of them may want
> to make a change.  It would be very difficult to facilitate that
> without some sort of file locking.
>
>  It would be really bad at this point to tell people Planner does not
> lock the file - so I am trying to figure out how to make some sort of
> wrapper.  I've looked at the Planner code - but it is all so new to
> me.
>
> If  any of you could implement locking...or point me in the right
> directions...that would be great.

I have bad experiences with locking, it always seems to bring more
trouble than it's worth (stale locks, problems with nfs, ...).

We could probably add but I would prefer to keep it as a compile time
option if we do.

I think the place to look would be in libplanner/mrp-project.c, but we
are using libgsf for the file handling so I'm not sure how straight
forward it would be to add locking.

Imendio HB, http://www.imendio.com/