Re: [Planner Dev] Niku Open Workbench

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 22:41, lincoln phipps openmutual net wrote:
<snip/>
> > 3. Does anyone think this new open source project will make Planner
> > obsolete?
>
> Given the market it targets and the difficulty of first use and
> the fact its not yet on Linux then no.
>
> The press state....
> "It is true that Microsoft Project 2003 is targeting the enterprise
> space but from bottom up; while Workbench is heavy duty, more for
> the elite project managers," said Melinda Ballou senior research
> analyst at Meta Group.
>
> Thst gives it away - we are not its target. I suspect that
> MS Project 2003 and the Project server are starting to hurt Niku
> so the response is right to commoditise one bit of the suite
> and hook in enterprise users to the rest of the product suite.
> MS Project treading into Niku's market is their problem and this
> is their response.
>
> The license is Mozilla. So we still retain our particular territory
> and licensing regime but it raises awareness of Open Source in
> this area of Project management so its great as many people do
> worry when there is only one product of a particular development
> methodology to choose from in on a particular platform.
>
> If Postgresql, Mysql, and Firebird can all live together or if
> Galeon, Konqueror, Mozilla, Firefox can also live together then
> Planner and openworkbench can too whenever it comes to Linux.
> If they segment the Windows market then the same segmentation
> will work for Linux except that we don't have MS Project to
> worry about on our turf so truthfully I don't expect them on
> Linux that quickly.
>
> This move by Openworkbench will help spoil MSP on Windows and
> provide a nice cross-platform capability but only when it comes
> to Linux. When it does then we should support their market
> segmentation model by making sure we have suitable import/export
> filters.

I agree with your analysis and I think it is safe to conclude that the
open sourcing of OpenWorkbench will be a positive for us and the open
source community in general. Hey, anything that gives M$ some more
competition has to be good ;) I like your idea about making sure we have
filters that can handle Niku's formats. Even better, if Niku plays well
with the developer community and we can get specs, it would be a nice
feature for Planner to have the ability to interface with Niku's server
products.

- Chris

--
Chris Ladd