Re: [Planner Dev] cvs build problems

On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 08:14, Richard Hult wrote:
> fre 2004-02-13 klockan 21.46 skrev Kurt Maute:
> > On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 11:52, lincoln phipps openmutual net wrote:
> > > Install gtk-doc !!!!
> > >
> > > Thats what fixed that for me.
> >
> > Thanks - that worked for me also.  I had gtk-doc-.04 and upgraded to 1.1
> > ... so maybe we should add a check for that dependency in autogen?
>
> It kind of sucks to need to check in both places. But it might be the
> best thing to do, I guess.

Please don't do that. The versions will get out of date. Or the regex
used to match the version will break on some particular version (witness
the problems moving from 0.9 to 1.0, or the problems that some naive
scripts are having now that intltool has clocked over from 0.29 to
0.30).

What you should be doing is running 'gtkdocize' as part of autogen.sh.
If that script does not exist, then gtk-doc is too early to know about
GTK_DOC_CHECK() in any case. And people will see "cannot find gtkdocize"
or some sort of similar error when running autogen.sh (in reality, you
put in a real error message at that point).

If somebody can succesfully run gtkdocize, but aclocal cannot find
GTK_DOC_CHECK, then their build system is broken and no amount of simple
checking will be able to overcome that.

Also, by running gtkdocize, you will ensure that gtk-doc.make stays up
to date (there is no need to have it checked into CVS). The gtkdocize
copies over the relevant makefile fragment when it is run.

Cheers,
Malcolm