Re: [Planner Dev] Planner database version

Hi!

El mié, 04-08-2004 a las 22:13, lincoln phipps openmutual net escribió:
> Alvaro,
> 	hope you had a nice away day with clients.... ;)

Yes, a bit long travel, but a goo day :)

> rebuilt from CVS to try the database stuff on my existing database.

Great! This is the kind of things we need to do to test this database
code.

> In the console I get....
>
> (planner:12734): Planner-WARNING **: File with no version: /usr/local/share/planner/sql/database.sql

Ok, this is normal. We need a version in all files to play the game of
creating the right database for a version and upgrading. Maybe we can
finally remove database.sql file because it is and old file, and I think
we don't break anything in backwards compatibility.

> (planner:12734): Planner-WARNING **: Database file version 0.13 (/usr/local/share/planner/sql/database-0.13.sql) is different from upgrade file version 0.0 ((null))
>
> (planner:12734): Planner-WARNING **: Need to create tables but no database file

Ok, so you have some databases created and you are now running version
0.12.90 of Planner (CVS). Because you actual databases doesn't have a
version, planner code take Planner version as the current database
version.

The code finds that if a new will be created, they will use the
database-0.13.sql file, so the max version code can reach creating a new
database is 0.13.

But you have already the databases so you path will be upgrading them.
The code tries to find an upgrade file for "0.12.90" but it can't find
any file. Because it is a CVS version (0.12.90) I think it isn't a good
idea to have in SQL files this kind of upgrade files. But life is a bit
difficult for us, people working in CVS.

Planner can't find any upgrade path for you but it can see that you have
an older version of database schema (0.12.90 vs 0.13) so it decides to
don't work because you can miss some important points in databases.

To solve the problem, all you need is un upgrade file from 0.12.90 to
0.13, something you can create with:

cp /usr/local/share/planner/sql/upgrade-0.11-0.13.sql
/usr/local/share/planner/sql/upgrade-0.12.90-0.13.sql

If you can test it, it will be great!

And also, if you find suggestion about the code logic that could be
better, we can comment them also.

Cheers

-- Alvaro