Fwd: Re: [Planner Dev] Suggestion for project tracking planned v. actuals using Phase as a commit/restore tag.

I endorse the EV tools and multiple baselines however, I would like to discourage the use of the term "Phase" as a name for a baseline. "Phase" in PM lingo has a specific meaning - (see the PMBOK Guide)

Calling each new baseline "Baseline 1", "Baseline 2" etc... is fine. To improve upon this, make it clear when the baseline was set - perhaps a date field and a notes field so when looking at baseline data it is obvious that "Baseline N" set on "1-Apr-2004" and has a note: "baseline set at Completion of phase 2 gate review and customer approval"

Also, the lowest number baseline should be the most recent - for example
Baseline 4 set at the beginning of the project, Baseline 3 set when the customer changed scope two weeks later, baseline 2 set when the customer changed scope again ;-) baseline 1 when we decided to contract out some of the scope etc... so each new setting of a baseline pushes the older ones "up"

The EV calculations should default against the most recent baseline ( Always Baseline 1) but it would be handy to have the option of "Which baseline(s) would you like to compute progress against?"

Remember "Rebaseline" *should* only happen in response to an approved (by the customer) change - but being able to set a baseline implies that the project has been planned properly :-)

A minor correction to equations below

Expected Funds to Completion (ETC) = Budget At Completion (BAC),

ETC = BAC / CPI

I've written a simple tutorial on earned value at http://www.oakinc.com/pdf/EVTutorial.pdf

Mark

MarkDurrenberger
Principal, Oak Associates, Inc.
Advancing the Theory and Practice of Project Management
www.oakinc.com

Progress might have been all right once, but it's gone on too long.

                                                  Ogden Nash