Re: [Planner] Re: [Planner Dev] Community web site

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 04:09, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> ons 2003-11-12 klockan 03.37 skrev Kurt Maute:
> Yeah, what I'd like to do is to put up a milestone list (we had one at
> some point). It will however be next to impossible to put up a schedule
> (with dates for releases) since those dates will depends fully on how
> much time we can put into the project (this amount will in turn depend
> on how much contracted work we have on other projects as long as we are
> not contracted to work on Planner).

Unless you keep the release schedule fixed and let the enhancements
float.??  Just a thought.  In my mind it might help shift the decision
making power (and responsibility) for what gets included in each release
to the user/development community.

> I'm not overly fond of wiki's. I think that wikis are good for
> developing documentation but not for documenting (if you see what I
> mean). I think a forum (like phpBB) will be good for this and is
> probably more user-oriented than a mailinglist.

Sounds like a good plan.  It might also be nice to have a few topics in
there focused more on project managment than the tool itself - which
might be a good way to attract new users.

> I did a little mockup that we could talk around, it was somewhat based
> on the new layout of www.mozilla.org but imho cleaner. The colory
> thingies on the left would be screenshots.
>
> http://micke.hallendal.net/planner-web-02.png

The mockup looks good.  I like that the links are right out in front,
and news items on the left hand pane.  I'm thinking it might also be
good to let people sign up for 'free membership' - which you'd probably
need for the Forums anyway, and allow them to post a profile with links
to their favorite PM or GNU sites.

> The idea about this is that most information is either interesting users
> or developer. Anjuta has one nice feature that I always like, and that
> is a list of persons behind a project. I would like to go one step
> further and post pictures of the persons involved, like we do on the
> Swedish GNOME site, http://www.gnome.se/utvecklare/

Cool.  Its nice to be able to put a face to the name!

> Yes, we will make sure that you can update the documentation directly
> online. The setup we had on the old page was as you say not good since
> that often left the user guide unupdated on the main web site.

cool.

> > Getting a bit off topic, there's also the issue of the Spanish
> > translation that he posted to the MrProject-Devel list before it went
> > away.  Were you guys able to capture that?
>
> Yes, I commited it to CVS before the mailinglist went down.

Excellent.  I think that should be posted on the Planner site as well,
although I tried a few times to do a transformation on it, but the
special characters he used kept generating errors... something about the
input not being proper UTF-8.?  I'm not sure how to deal with that.

--
Kurt Maute <Kurt Maute us>