Re: [Planner] Re: [Planner Dev] Community web site

ons 2003-11-12 klockan 03.37 skrev Kurt Maute:
> Hi!

Hi!

> Much of the traffic on the old MrProject list was oriented around when
> features would become available.  It would be nice to be able to refer
> folks to a schedule - even if its only partially committed to.

Yeah, what I'd like to do is to put up a milestone list (we had one at
some point). It will however be next to impossible to put up a schedule
(with dates for releases) since those dates will depends fully on how
much time we can put into the project (this amount will in turn depend
on how much contracted work we have on other projects as long as we are
not contracted to work on Planner).

> I agree.  ...though I've never learned to wiki - it would be an
> excellent way to give users a way to add content to the site.

I'm not overly fond of wiki's. I think that wikis are good for
developing documentation but not for documenting (if you see what I
mean). I think a forum (like phpBB) will be good for this and is
probably more user-oriented than a mailinglist.

> In terms of general site layout, I like how Anjuta has theirs laid out.
> Its clean and easy to navigate.  http://www.anjuta.org

Hmm... while looking nice I can't say that there menu layouts make much
sense. First they have a top menu (which looks like the main menu) but
then they also have a main menu on the left. I would expect the menu on
the left to be a context menu changing depending on what you click on
there top menu.

I did a little mockup that we could talk around, it was somewhat based
on the new layout of www.mozilla.org but imho cleaner. The colory
thingies on the left would be screenshots.

http://micke.hallendal.net/planner-web-02.png

The idea about this is that most information is either interesting users
or developer. Anjuta has one nice feature that I always like, and that
is a list of persons behind a project. I would like to go one step
further and post pictures of the persons involved, like we do on the
Swedish GNOME site, http://www.gnome.se/utvecklare/

> On my favorite topic, documentation, I'm wondering if there's an easy
> way to update the user guide on your site.  I recall the user guide on
> the codefactory site wasn't necessarily updated at each release, and
> that would be a good thing to do.  I'd be willing to do it if you'd be
> willing to give me ftp access to a folder or some other way to update
> the pages.  If not, that's fine.  I'll just continue to post them on my
> site.

Yes, we will make sure that you can update the documentation directly
online. The setup we had on the old page was as you say not good since
that often left the user guide unupdated on the main web site.

> Getting a bit off topic, there's also the issue of the Spanish
> translation that he posted to the MrProject-Devel list before it went
> away.  Were you guys able to capture that?

Yes, I commited it to CVS before the mailinglist went down.

Cheers,
  Mikael Hallendal
--
Mikael Hallendal               micke imendio com
Imendio HB                     http://www.imendio.com