Re: List traffic

Ross Burton wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 14:31 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>> Too little traffic on this list.  We should change that.  To start let me ask:
>> anyone has the time/interest to do some work on a bootchart-like graphing tool
>> using pycairo?
>
> Another bootchart implementation?  That would be four that I know of...
> Or do you just mean a reimplementation of the original bootchart data to
> chart tool (which is currently written in Java)?

Just the chart tool.  The rest is actually nothing: a 200 line shell script,
which some are rewriting to use systemtap instead.

My idea is that if someone ports that tool to pycairo, then we can:

  1) plug other input formats, for systemtap, etc
  2) make an interactive tool out of it, where you can pan/zoom through time,
change filtering options, etc

At that point we'd have a basic profiler.  If we also port sysprof to python,
we can mix the two.  So when you see a process ate a lot of CPU a last second,
you can switch to the sysprof view to see what happened inside...

There's a lot that systemtap enables.  We really need to start a small
framework and go from there.  The recent gdb/archer enhancements also enable
very nifty features.  The idea being to write what Frysk promised, in Python
and using systemtap+gdb instead.

behdad