Re: manager.c ?

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 18:36 -0400, grundy wrote:

> "Seems the idle state we are interested in is set in manager.c:1372,
> update_save_state(), just after launching all the clients in the
> start_list."
>
> Is this the end point that we can use as a marker to stop performance
> measurements?

Note that this point means

  "there's nothing left to launch"

instead of

  "all applications are really fully initialized"

:)

For example, both Nautilus and the Panel report back to the session
manager before they have loaded the desktop, loaded the applets, etc.
The message means "I'm here", so that the session manager can use launch
priorities effectively:

1. Everything needs gnome-settings-daemon to run first, so that various
settings are present.

2. All GUI apps need metacity to be running so that windows don't get
swallowed / flickered around when they are created.

3. Nautilus needs the Panel to be running so that it knows the visible
extents of the desktop (screen size minus the panel's size).

4. ... etc.

  Federico