Re: Implementing Batch Requests in GConf

Title: Re: Implementing Batch Requests in GConf

Hi everyone,

Looking a bit closer at this armed with the knowledge of how GConf preloading works I began to become suspicous of how Metacity racked up hundreds of GConf roundtrips. It only has a handfull of GConf dirs it queries so it should only be making that many calls to the daemon..

It turns out that Metacity queries many keys that simply aren't set on my system, including the names of 36 workspaces and a seamingly endless list of keybindings. These don't appear in cache even with preloading so we end up making a roundtrip to the daemon for each one.

The way I'm thinking of solving this is by considering keys that don't appear in cache but are covered by a previous add_dir as unset without bothering the daemon. I don't see what that would break but I'm completely unfamilar with this area so I could use some guidance.

Also, I've mentioned Metacity in particular but I'm sure.this applies to lots of other apps.

-Ryan

This electronic mail transmission and any accompanying attachments contain confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in reliance on the contents of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please immediately delete the e-mail and either notify the sender at the above e-mail address or by telephone at 250.386.5323.