Re: [Fwd: calculating text length]

ext Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> El mi�18-04-2007 a las 13:43 +0300, Tapani P�i escribi�
>
>> I have a performance problem with Matchbox window manager calculating
>> window title width rather slowly with Pango when doing ellipsation for
>> the title.
>>

> Ouch.  We didn't get around to optimizing ellipsization during the
> initial profiling spree in Pango.
>
> Do you want to revive that benchmark?  It's in the 'pango-profile'
> module on svn.
>
> Still, how did you find about this problem?  Are you running a window
> manager benchmark, or is it measuring the text way too often, or what?

Well this is actually more of a problem of our current browser build
that updates title far too often, few times in a second to be exact :-)
And this triggers ellipsation pretty frequently ... but that reminded me
of one feature I was experimenting with earlier, 'scrolling window
titles', where updating is needed and fast algorithm wanted. Also in our
search application title displays the amount of results found, so it's
updated frequently.

The real performance problem here is not exactly Pango but how it is
being called. So basically I'd like to know what is the quickest way to
get (approx) width for a string with Pango.

>   Federico

// Tapani