Re: Gtk performance issues from a user's point of view

> It's interesting to note that if I add a single button to the window,
> then it gets noticeably slower (but it doesn't lag, either).  Then,
> Sysprof says that 69% of the time is spent in libfb/libxaa in the X
> server, not GTK+ itself.

I discussed with Markku Vire today some performance-related stuff, and
actually this same thing came up.

He had taken GTK+ 2.10, ran gtk-demo with buttons and resized the
window like mad. Sysprof indicated that some (IIRC) 75% of the time
was spent within X (dunno the exact setup). There was some funkyness
with expose propagation (fetching a style property _every time_,
yikes!) but even if you'd optimize the whole section of GTK+ code to
be faster, that would yield a very tiny improvement. So it really
seems to be something in the way GTK+ uses X (or graphics in general)
.

Would be interesting if you can find out what client request triggers the work in the server.

Does commenting out flush_all_displays() at the end of gdk_window_process_all_updates() in gdk/gdkwindow.c help?

Also, googling for XTranslateCoordinates gives an interesting conversation:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2001-November/msg00440.html
This code is in gdk/x11/gdkevents-x11.c gdk_event_translate()