Re: Qt Vs Cairo performance comparison

On 10/23/06, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 14:16 -0400, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Luis Menina schreef:
> > I don't know if you already read it, but anyway.
> > DISCLAIMER: It quite hurts.
>
> QT4.x has a complete integer-only backend for Artur (their paint framework). It would be
> nice if people would concentrate on getting something like that for cairo instead of
> ignoring Jorn's and Richard's work (and profiling) in that area.
> It's quite sad that profiles that aren't made by sysprof or Novell/RH get ignored....

There's just as much each of us can do.

Certainly.  I think it is more a question of our desire to work with
the Gnome Desktop community.  We can of course patch it, as we have
done with PangoCairo in Gtk+ 2.8 - see Matt Hoosier's patch to this
list.  Others are still locked into Gtk+ 2.6, also heavily patched.

Trolltech has a clear mandate to support embedded side with their
Qtopia and the desktop side with Qt.  We are struggling on the
Embedded side to get the same sort of participation and recognition
with Gtk+.  I think Carl's new profiling for the n770 is a wonderful
step in the right direction.

I just hope we can improve the contacts and the dialog between the
desktop and the embedded side with Gtk+.  A first step might be to
start considering why we are having to patch things so heavily.  Like
I said, the profiling that Carl has set-up will help.

I do worry about existing indefinitely on Gtk+ 2.8 and others on Gtk+
2.6 as patches are submitted (fixed point) and changes proposed, but
no action taken.  So our recourse is to maintain those patches in our
Subversion repositories and pick and choose what works.  But it is not
for the faint of heart and one can easily see why aspects of Qt/Qtopia
paradigm can be more attractive especially where embedded development
is recognized.

The fact that there will be more devices running with Gtk+ than
desktops should not be forgotten.

Just some thoughts.

Sean

Sean