Re: Attempt to measure performance of popping up menus

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 11:54 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 16:15 +0000, Milen Dzhumerov wrote:
>
> > I tried to measure the time spent in popping up menus in Gedit and doing
> > the same in Kate. The results are here -
> > http://www.1nsp1r3d.co.uk/work/gnome/performance/menubarmenus/. Any
> > comments are welcome.
>
> Very interesting.  But what are you measuring?  Is it the time from the
> menu being activated, to the popup actually appearing?  Or is it just
> the time to run your xte script?
>
> It would be good to run sysprof or some other global profiler while you
> run the test.  That will tell you who is chewing all the CPU and will
> help us fix the problem.
>
>   Federico

I'm measuring the runtime of my bash script which runs xte 100 times.
I've also updated the test to include GDK-based themes which outperform
both Plastik & Clearlooks. I've a few more papers about GNOME which I'll
be releasing as I go along and after that I'll focus on fixing the
issues(as far as I can, at least we have the figures now).

Regards