Re: Re: Fixed point cairo.. or no cairo?

On 8/7/06, Carl Worth <cworth cworth org> wrote:
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:48:07 +0200, Jorn Baayen wrote:

> Implementation wise I have not yet hit any troubles. The problems come
> in with the amount of API duplication it causes: fixed and floating
> point versions of a gazillion data structures and functions.

Yes, this was precisely the concern I raised when the idea of a

> Has anyone else been giving any thought to all this? If so, I'd love to
> hear any ideas.

One question I have is where are the floating-point operations that
are causing problems? Are they above cairo in pango itself? Are they
below the cairo interface? Both? Can we address the problem by
applying judicious use of fixed-point arithmetic without touching the
API at all?

That was the approach I had suggested might be possible: Fixed-point
implementations in pango and cairo connected through the existing
floating-point interface.

I agree.  I think this is a good approach and allows use of Cairo API
that I find really desirable in some of my embedded applications.

Sean

Has this approach been evaluated at all yet? It seems you should be
able to re-purpose a bunch of the work you've been doing already to
apply to an approach like this.

-Carl