Re: Memory statistics

 Boy, do I hate mailing lists that don't adjust Reply-To :-/.

On Monday 24 April 2006 14:03, michael meeks wrote:
> Hi Tommi,
>
> On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 13:02 +0300, Tommi Komulainen wrote:
> > FWIW that is pretty much for what we have maemo-launcher[1] for :-)
>
> 	Sounds nice to me; although I'm not certain what the saving is wrt. the
> display & settings structures really.

 Hmm, and I thought it was only us who had to resolve to using such hacks. Do
you have any numbers on the actual savings?

> 	The real win to me is linking data: of course, to populate that
> correctly you need to:
>
> 	* set LD_BIND_NOW=1 before 'maemo-launcher' is run (shell script
> 	  wrapper or what have you)
>
> 	* unset LD_BIND_NOW as you fork each child

 Yes, there are certainly some things you could learn from kdeinit instead of
reinventing the wheel :).

> 	Oh, of course, you want then to link as much as you can into
> maemo-launcher before you fork as well; but - anything you can win
> beyond that is no doubt interesting too [ icon cache info (?) etc. ]
>
> > (Ab)using the fact that pretty much all of the time all apps use the
> > same theme, same fonts, same environment, etc. we're hacking away with
>
> 	Lubos - are KDE apps moving to using linking -pie -rdynamic, or are you
> sticking with separate shlibs ?

 I don't think PIE's are that widely supported these days, so no. What would
be the benefits of doing so anyway?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer