Re: Memory statistics

Hi Michael,

michael meeks a écrit :
	I think you're confused here - at least, for the architecture I'm using
(x86/x86_64) the .plt is RO/sharable & executable, .rel.plt is
RO/sharable/non-exec, and of course all the real .plt fixups occur in
the GOT section, as you would expect.

You're right, I was confused about this topic. However, fact remains that some entries in the GOT cannot be always shared *if* the weird ELF dynamic linking semantics are followed to the letter (e.g. look for
symbols in the program before any other shared library).

However, it also seems that nearly nobody needs them anyway: schemes like kdeinit and maemo-launcher simply ignore the semantics for newly launched programs, and I've never seen any complaint about that.
Apart from that, you'll get relocations.

	Honestly - the more I look at the picture, the more I think using a
'kdeinit' type approach might be rather better - at least for the core
apps: nautilus, panel etc.

When looking for all the stuff needed to do "reasonable" dynamic linking on Linux, I get the feeling that the pile of successive hacks required far outstrip the benefits of the current implementation; and I wonder if the trade-offs that ELF was designed around are still absolutely valid today.

But you're right that a "kdeinit" approach is the low-hanging fruit at the moment.

Regards,

- David Turner

Information contained in this email message is confidential and may be privileged, and is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the postmaster nds com and destroy the original message.