Re: Solaris/ Gnome performance hacking

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 16:01 +0000, John Rice wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wanted to give you a heads up that we are getting together a bunch
> of folks in Sun Solaris/ Dtrace/ Gnome land to do some performance
> hacking in a few weeks time. An internal get together in the US that's
> being hijacked by my good self ;) I know no shame.
>
> I'll keep you all posted on what we come up with. I'll get the lads to
> blog the results and post to the list on stuff we are turning up. I'll
> use Frederico's and other suggestions from the Boston summit [and
> live.gnome.org/performance] as input on what to tackle - login,
> application startup, memory footprint, redraw, gtk perf, Nautilus Open,
> Evoultion responsiveness ... lots to choose from.

One thing you may wish to pay special attention to at login is the
amount of time applets take to start up. I'm not sure if it's the
applets themselves, but much of my login time is spent waiting for most
of my applets to draw.

I plan to look at this issue, and I'll report anything I find to the
list (though I plan to use oprofile for this. Dtrace may bring up
different details).

-Travis