Re: [pdfmod] DJVU mod ?

Hello Gabriel,

I have some answers concerning the DJVU system.

1) Simplicity of the support ?
Since I am not a computer programmer myself, I can't really assess
the burden of supporting DJVU files in Pdfmod. But, I have
discovered that all OS seem fully compatible  with djvu files. The
library called DJVUlibre enables page sorting, table of contents
editing and so on (cf ubuntu & djvulibre manuals). Provided  you
are able to make some programming you can make plenty of changes.

And there is a dedicated reader called DJView4 which is really
efficient.

2) Identity of the UI ?
There seem to be no difference between pdf and djvu apart from the
compressing efficiency. When I use pdf2djvu (an ubuntu converting
command) I get the exact same file, only smaller. (The table of
content is the same. The structure is the same).

I compared the commands pdfmod-djvulibre. They seem equivalent :
Extract page>djvused - save-page - save-page-with
Rotate page>  djvudigital --psrotate (MAYBE, I didn't try it)
Export image>ddjvu
Bookmarks>djvused - set-page-title - print-outline - set-outline
Page sorting>djvused
Save>djvused - save

3) Usefulness vs maintenance-burden tradeoff ?
As far as I can tell Djvu files are much lighter and much faster to
use than pdf. I recently used  a pocketbook 602 ebook reader. Large
djvu files were working just fine whereas the same pdf files
weren't.

As you noticed yourself, PDF files are the dominant standard. They
are fully efficient thanks to the Adobe Creative Suite. Which
accounts for the amount of pdf available.  All the more as they got
officially released as an open standard on July 1, 2008 (cf