[outreach] information for payments - due from interns by Wednesday, June 3

Dear Outreachy interns,

We need some information from you to be able to send you the payments in the course of the program. This
e-mail has two parts detailing the information you need to provide for the payment method and for handling
the taxes.

Please send this information by the end of day anywhere on Wednesday, June 3. If you need more time to get us
the payment method information, Conservancy will send you the first payment within its standard 30 days of
receiving the information, but hopefully sooner - Conservancy will try its best.

The payments schedule is outlined on https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreachy/2015/MayAugust#Payments_Schedule If you
send us the information by Wednesday, and don't receive your payment in three weeks, please check with your
bank (if it was a wire transfer) and let us know at outreachy-admins gnome org about the missing payment. One
of the goals of this first smaller payment is to establish the payment process with the method you choose.

======== Payment menthod ==========

Payments can be sent to you as checks, wire transfers, or via PayPal. Please send the information for the one
method you prefer to outreachy-admins gnome org, which is an e-mail alias for the coordinators of the program
(Karen Sandler, Sarah Sharp, and myself).

Here is the information we need for each of the methods (you should pick one):

1) PayPal. For this, we need
 * email address that is registered to the PayPal account
 * preferred currency (Please verify at https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/sell/mc/mc_intro-outside
that PayPal supports transactions in your preferred currency before choosing one.)

Note that sometimes PayPal charges fees on payments. Usually Conservancy is taking funds from its PayPal
balance, which means no fees appear on its side, but they may appear on yours. In Conservancy's experience,
there aren't typically fees for PayPal account holders in the USA and there are typically fees for PayPal
account holders outside the USA. We do advise you to check PayPal's fee schedule before choosing this method.

2) Check in USD from a USA bank, sent to you via post. For this option, we just need your postal address.

3) Wire transfer - we need as much of the following information as it's possible for you to collect. While
some of this information isn't always needed, the more we have, the less likely there will be problems with
your wire.
 * SWIFT and/or BIC Code
   (mandatory for non-USA wires)
 * ACH or ABA routing number
   (mandatory for USA wires)
 * Correspondent and/or Intermediary Bank
   (provide all the information about this bank or banks you can get from your bank. If this bank is in the
USA, be sure to provide ACH or ABA routing number. Some countries/banks require a specific Intermediary bank
for wires from the USA. However, even if your country/bank doesn't require it, you may want to ask your bank
if they have a preferred USA Correspondent bank, as that may help lower wire fees.)
 * Correspondent or Intermediary Bank ACH or ABA routing number and Name of that Bank
   (not mandatory, but can help lower fees - ask your bank what USA correspondent or intermediary bank they
prefer for a wire transfer from a USA bank)
 * Account Number
   (absolutely mandatory)
 * Full Name of the Account Holder
   (absolutely mandatory)
 * Full Address of Account Holder
 * Bank Name
 * Bank Address
 * IBAN
   (mandatory for EU countries)
 * Preferred Currency - usually USD or native currency of your account
   (absolutely mandatory; if you chose the native currency of your account, it will likely reduce fees, since
Conservancy's bank usually gives it reasonably good exchange rates)

4) Check in your local currency, sent to you via post. For this option, we just need your postal address and
what currency you want. Note that this is a more involved option to process and will usually take 30 days.

======== Taxes-related information ==========

Your internship is independent contractor work performed with Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc. All
contractors either must file USA tax paperwork (a W-9) or give Conservancy sufficient statements to confirm a
W-9 is not necessary. Therefore, Conservancy needs one of the following two things from you, whichever one
applies:

(1) An email to accounting sfconservancy org, ideally GPG-signed if you happen to use GPG, but not encrypted,
that states the following facts about yourself:

  (a) I'm not a citizen of the USA. I'm a citizen of [identify which country you are a citizen of],

  (b) I do not have any work visa with any kind of permission to perform work in the USA,

  (c) the work during my internship will be carried out in a country other than the USA. It will be carried
out in [identify which country the work will be carried out in],

  (d) I have never paid taxes in the USA,

  (e) I do not have a USA SSN nor EIN.

If you are not planning to file USA tax paperwork, but are *also* unable to assert all of the statements
(1)(a-e) truthfully about yourself and your internship, then please e-mail accounting sfconservancy org to
explain your situation; there may be additional paperwork that must be completed.

OR

(2) A completed and signed W-9 form from http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

You have three options for sending this:

 * send it by email to accounting sfconservancy org

 * If you want to send it via an encrypted email, you can send it directly to Bradley Kuhn, who handles
accounting for Conservancy, at bkuhn sfconservancy org using the GPG key with the fingerprint: 4F40 645E 46BE
0131 48F9 92F6 E775 E324 DB41 B387

 * If you want to send it by postal mail, please send it to:
     ATTN: OUTREACHY
     SOFTWARE FREEDOM CONSERVANCY
     137 MONTAGUE ST STE 380
     BROOKLYN, NY 11201-3548
     USA

Note that the W-9 requires a postal address. If your postal address changes after you send in the W-9 and
before January 5, 2016, please write to accounting sfconservancy org to supply the new address.

As always, feel free to let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Marina