Re: Moving an ostree across filesystems

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020, at 2:28 AM, Damian Ivanov via ostree-list wrote:
Hi,

Flaptak uses ostree to deduplicate data using hard links.
I have the directory $HOME/.local/share/flatpak which is said ostree
(4.9GB with hard links).
Now I want to move said directory to a different partition /mnt/storage

Doing so will /mnt/storage/.local/share/flatpak being 20 GB
as the hard links do not cross file system boundaries.

Is there a way to recreate the hard links after moving filesystem boundaries?
I tried ostree-fsck and flatpak repair.

How did you do the move?
The best way is to use `ostree pull-local` rather than rsync or cp, and from
there rerun flatpak to re-deploy apps.  But if you
just want to blindly copy all of the data, at least rsync has a `--hard-links` option
(though it's more expensive than ostree pull-local).

Probably this could be all wrapped up under a
`flatpak admin move-storage` command or something.