Re: Can't update /etc/sysconfig/docker-storage-setup from custom repo

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018, at 2:16 PM, Dan Nicholson wrote:

I don't know exactly how container-storage-setup works, but I'm
guessing it only accepts configuration via /etc/sysconfig. In that
case, you'll probably have to write your own tool that merges changes
from /usr/etc/sysconfig/docker-storage-setup to
/etc/sysconfig/docker-storage-setup at boot time.

One issue specifically with this software is that it modifies a file in
/etc on first-run.

I realize this makes you a sad panda (it often makes me sad and lose
sleep that our users aren't receiving important changes because they
happen to have edited a file in /etc),

But IMO a very cool property of the ostree model is `ostree admin config-diff`.
So you can always trivially restore the defaults.  In your case are you concerned
about this for *technical* users or cases like container-storage-setup where
the software changes /etc and you want to be able to reset it later?

What I've often thought about is providing /etc merge hooks in ostree
that run during the deployment. It would be pretty complex, though.
ostree already does something very similar for selinux relabeling and
it is not trivial.

Mmm...I don't think it would be too hard to implement an arbitrary
hook so that you could even do Debconf-style interactions if you
wanted to.  It'd avoid this happening at least:
https://twitter.com/jamesdotcuff/status/970362014513147905
as it'd still be transactional (if implemented well) and you'd just be prompted again
next time you tried to update.