Re: Deployment when having separate development streams

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017, at 02:29 PM, Colin Walters wrote:

Now there's an entirely different model possible - one where one *does*
use "containers" in the sense that the apps have their own filesystem tree,
but they're updated with the host.   I'm not aware of anyone trying this
today, but I bet it would work pretty well to have e.g.:

/usr/share/containers/$appname/{usr,etc}

which is baked into the single ostree branch, and point a systemd unit file at it
with just:

RootDirectory=/usr/share/containers/$appname
(And a number of the other systemd unit file directives are useful here)

(And a neat part about doing this is that due to ostree's content-addressed
 design, you get automatic dedup between containers and the host.  But OTOH,
 container updates require host updates)