Re: Redistributing refs from multiple origins in a single repository

On Wed, 2017-06-07 at 21:33 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
On Wed, Jun 7, 2017, at 01:16 PM, Philip Withnall wrote:

Correct, this is all verify-and-trust-on-first-use. If we later add
the
official gnome-apps, we’ll end up in the situation where two
locally
configured remotes have the same origin ID. That’s not something I
want
to disallow (they might be the new and old locations for the
content,
for example), but it could potentially be used as a red flag that
something a bit odd is going on. I think that’s something to
explore in
future.

Broadly speaking we've been talking about a model where
*after* the user has a given (collection id, ref) pair, they can
update
that pair from any set of remotes that provide it.

Yes, that’s definitely the use case I’m focusing on most. However…

(Aside: as things currently stand, the user/gnome-software would still
give a (remote name, ref) pair; the remote name would be converted to a
collection ID internally using the local configuration.)

But just to clarify something - we're not talking about doing
anything
P2P/discovery for *new* ref installs?

Installing an app from P2P should be possible, but it requires a remote
to be configured with that collection ID first (so we have a GPG key to
use). That would typically happen by the user adding a .flatpakrepo or
.flatpakref file (which is why these files need to support setting the
collection ID).

With that configuration, the ref can be resolved as (new remote name,
ref) as in the update case. This should be possible even if the newly
configured remote isn’t actually accessible (e.g. there is no internet
connection), since the configuration for it is all local.

Basically, `flatpak install` would still require a (remote, ref)
pair?

Yes.

Or are we scoping in here simply installing "ref" and having that
be discovered too and automatically bound to a remote if we happen
to have a remote available that provides it?

Nope, that’s not part of the plan, because (ref) by itself is not
globally unique, and if no remote has been configured for it, there has
been no opportunity for the user to verify it.

Philip