Re: Dilemma using ostree as regular user, losing permission bits

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017, at 10:36 AM, Colin Walters wrote:

You can do that today with "central repository" being an "archive"
repository accessible via HTTP, and users pull down to "bare-user"
repos right?

To follow up on this, if we had a config option where one could make
a repo (of any mode I guess) act as a "pull-through" cache of an upstream
repository, would that satisfy your use case?

Basically you'd have an upstream archive (or NFS/sshfs/etc mounted bare-user)
repo, and any time we wanted to do `ostree_repo_list_refs()` we'd contact
the upstream and freshen our cache, and any time we wanted to read a commit
object (whether for checkout or `ostree ls` etc.), we'd do a pull of that commit
locally?

Then you could do hardlink checkouts etc. using that bare-user repo.  I can see
a use case for doing this with archive repos too to more easily do dynamic local
mirroring.