Re: Redistributing refs from multiple origins in a single repository

On Thu, 2017-06-01 at 14:04 +0100, Philip Withnall wrote:
On Tue, 2017-05-30 at 21:56 +0200, Krzesimir Nowak wrote:
On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 12:53 AM, Philip Withnall
<philip tecnocode co uk> wrote:
Origin naming scheme
---

So that origin IDs can match remote names, they must share the
same
naming scheme (currently, for example, ‘gnome-apps’). We might
want
transition to a different naming scheme (reverse-DNS, for
example,
‘org.flathub’) in future if it would make uniqueness easier.
In any case, origin IDs have to be globally unique. If this is
hard
achieve with free-form IDs, we might instead want to use GUIDs,
and
match them to local remote configuration by including the origin
GUID
in the remote configuration as an additional key. This would
require a
migration step for existing configurations, whereas matching by
origin
ID = remote name potentially doesn’t, if we assume that most
people
give their remote configuration a predictable name.

I'd prefer to stick and to enforce one scheme to avoid having a
situation where we have a mix of conventions for naming the origin
ID.
Also, anything but GUID. Or maybe we shouldn't care if the name is
not
going to be used/seen/typed by the user.

The branch I’ve got at the moment uses origin IDs which are like
remote
names (and matches the two based on that), and it seems to fit into
the
code fairly well.

In the absence of arguments against that, or disasters when I try to
integrate this approach into flatpak, I’ll go with that.

Actually, I’m going to have to make the link between remote
configuration and origin ID more explicit than linking them by name. I
think there’s going to have to be an origin-id key in each [remote
"blah"] config section, otherwise we can’t enumerate the local remotes
and unambiguously work out which ones correspond to origins (and which
don’t). This is needed for the §(Publishing on a P2P server) example
from my original e-mail.

Philip