Re: Libproxy support?

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 1:23 PM Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 31, 2017, at 12:50 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

David Woodhouse has been working on proxy support for some years as parts of a smooth proxy experience inside of Intel. (David no longer works at Intel)  He might be a good person to speak with in regards to this.  Last year, we had a GSOC student working on I think something similar.

David is on an epic quest.  It's like he's Frodo Baggins, trying to battle many trials and adversaries (libmozjs, upstreams of e.g. libcurl) to dump the ring (pacrunner) in the volcano[1].

And we all love him for doing so. :-)  Damn proxy has been a pain in the ass for a long time.  It still astonishes me that we can't make this thing transparent.  Rant over. :)

You linked to connman, but it looks like the code recently landed in NetworkManager too:

I linked to it because I was using the intern who was working on it last year.

Wait, I looked more, I see a C shared library that talks to the pacrunner daemon.
So yeah, we'd need to patch OSTree to use that or speak DBus directly (some preference
for the latter).

Yep, that seems like the right path.  This way, nobody needs to be worried about proxies anymore and it just works.

sri