Re: Libproxy support?

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017, at 03:49 AM, Paul van Tilburg via ostree-list wrote:

A question that remains, though, is why OSTree that uses libsoup (as all
our applications do), seems to bypass the libproxy proxy resolver.

Are your other applications running inside the user session?  I believe
the relevant bit here is the libsoup -> glib -> glib-networking, which provides
implementations of the base GProxyResolver.  It seems likely to me for
example that if for example this is true for your apps now:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/glib-networking/tree/proxy/gnome/gproxyresolvergnome.c?id=f6d8bcb645977afc8256c0132734d352da57e818#n313

It won't be for ostree outside of a session.

    * where to leave the authentication credentials?

For this stuff I think we should take this to desktop-devel-list.  My intuition is
to ask "what does epiphany do"?  (git grep proxy in the source) Ah, so it basically just defers to gsettings.
Now...this gets into a messy area of dconf-as-root.  The problem is that root-owned
processes aren't part of a session as such, and so there's questions around
what the lifecycle is of the dconf-daemon that would end up being spawned, etc.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/dconf/SystemAdministrators

is relevant here.

Also on this topic...I believe what PackageKit does is pass the proxy from the
user session to the daemon, which neatly sidesteps a lot of these issues.  Supporting
that would require an ostree daemon, which we should probably have a reference
one as part of the tree.