slow creation of ostrees using pungi/koji

I've noticed that it can be really slow to create ostrees in Fedora using
pungi/koji. I think most of the time is spent in the 'committing'
phase and believe this probably is related to the fact that we are
writing a ton of small files.

Is there anything we can do to improve this? We are essentially accessing
the ostree repo via an nfs mount (so it's just a mountpoint on the local system).
I wonder if it would be better to work in a temporary directory and then have some
sort of 'ostree push' that would be more efficient.

Anyone run into this before?

Dusty