Re: ostree multiarch support

On Monday, October 3, 2016 1:43:06 PM CDT Colin Walters wrote:
On Thu, Sep 29, 2016, at 05:18 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
The issue I see here is you can not feed the json to a koji parent task
that has children tasks  but depending how we work out implementation of
how we make ostrees for multiple arches that may or may not be an issue.

Like if the child tasks run on different architectures?

yes, just like we do today for rpms, we use one srpm that is fed to the
children.

The other choice is
https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/pull/305
which was simple to write...but I'm thinking the inheritance is
best to try for now.   Thoughts?

I would prefer having a way to have architecture specific snippets
included by the parent based on arch

if arch == "armhfp"
include arm-snippet.json
else if arch in ["x86_64", 'i686", "aarch64"]
include grub-snippet.json
endif

or some such setup. even being able to mark some packages as optional
would
suffice.

Hm, but are we aware of any use cases for architecture dependencies
*other* than packages?  I can't think of one offhand.  Which argues
for https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/pull/305
I'd say.
I can not think of any off the top of my head.

I'd rather not try to do full "semantic templates" like mustache/jinja
(as is used by Lorax) right now at least in the core codebase since I'm
not feeling yet the problem domain warrants it versus the ~10 lines
above.

There's another aspect here which is there's been some discusion
on kickstart files as input, which I just filed here:
https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/issues/472
kickstart also has includes but doesn't (AFAIK) have conditional
includes.

first part of image, livecd, and appliance builds we use ksflatten to merge
the the kickstart snippets into one file. being able to define pieces of it

I put a script[1] together on the weekend and have put it in use to make trees
from the rawhide buildroot, it is supporting multiple architectures by
tweaking the json file on the fly. something I would like to stop doing asap.

Dennis

[1] https://pagure.io/releng/blob/master/f/scripts/build-test-ostree