Re: Avahi support

(resurrecting this thread from just before I joined the list, apologies for breaking the msgids)

Hi Colin,

Well, things get a lot easier if we assume a smart server like git has.  At a small scale
it could make sense.  I've just not wanted to really try to do that myself because a protocol
is tricky to design, although most of it could probably be taken from git.  Plus static webservers
are very secure.

Though actually, it likely wouldn't be hard to write a webserver that knew how to generate
ostree objects on demand from the on-disk files (just basically gzipping them).

But for the static approach, the client keeping around the deltas doesn't seem too bad,
assuming that there's not a lot of version drift.  Say just keep the last delta, or possibly two?

I'm not convinced deltas are the right answer here - my considerations for a LAN updater are this:

 - you can assume bandwidth is cheap, because you're on a LAN

- you can assume load will be small, because you're going to turn this on explicitly ("Share updates with friends..."), or if the OS enables the feature for you whatever does that can set some resource limits or policy if OStree has a mechanism

- you can't necessarily make assumptions about the versions that other people are using because they might not have a connection/source of upgrades and you don't know their update frequency - consider a monthly "LAN party" where people can bring their systems to upgrade - if you miss one/two/N you can never upgrade again?

To me this makes the "slightly less dumb web server that can gzip files from your deployment" a far more compelling solution - it's idempotent and stateless: you can always guarantee to be able to upgrade any other user of a compatible architecture to the OS you're running.

It seems to me like anything based around caching/distributing pre-calculated deltas is going to be really fragile because it has to be based around assumptions which in my mind aren't safe to make, and it creates a management problem (around what deltas do you keep, do you have space, for how long, etc or what do you generate at great time/cost) which will have a massive effect on whether the entire P2P update strategy works in practice.

Cheers,
Rob

Robert McQueen  |  +1.415.413.4159  |  Endless <http://endlessm.com/>