Adapting an existing distribution to OSTree

Hi,

I am a working on the integration of OSTree with GENIVI SOTA project in Automotive Grade Linux (AGL).

GENIVI SOTA is an open source project for providing a complete suite for uploading, managing, queueing, transmitting, validating, and deploying software updates remotely to a fleet of vehicles. There is a server in the cloud and clients for the embedded devices. The client downloads the binaries from the server, and then hands them over to the system for installation. After reviewing several open source solutions for installation strategies during the AGL face to face meeting in May the interested parties decided to try OSTree. More technical details about the discussions are available in AGL wiki and mailing list:
https://wiki.automotivelinux.org/agl-distro/may2016-f2f
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/automotive-discussions/2016-May/002077.html

AGL is Yocto/OE based distribution. I have already integrated RVI SOTA client which is written in the Rust programming language to the upstream of AGL. I have also created Yocto/OE recipes for building up to date version of OSTree and its dependencies. At the moment my patches for adding OSTree to layer meta-agl are pending for a review:
https://gerrit.automotivelinux.org/gerrit/#/c/5813/3

Ideally, I am looking for an end to end solution for using SOTA download mechanism in conjunction with static-deltas, atomic updates and rollbacks from OSTree.

Now I am trying to adapt AGL as an OSTree-enabled system and to generate OSTree commits from the Yocto builds. I have already read chapter "Adapting existing mainstream distributions" from the official documentation, I tried out GNOME continuous in a virtual machine and I looked for hints from the bash scripts in directory tests. I still need more information.

Could you please provide me more practical guidelines and examples for converting an image built with bitbake to OSTree based image?

Best regards, Leon

--
Leon Anavi
Software Engineer