Re: libcurl vs libsoup

On Sat, Jul 23, 2016, at 02:27 PM, Allan Gardner wrote:
On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 5:23 PM, Matthew Barnes <mbarnes redhat com> wrote:
On 07/22/2016 04:26 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
Hey so, I'd just like to put out a feeler among ostree's users:
Who would strongly prefer libcurl over libsoup?

The reason I'm asking is right now, my primary consumer (rpm-ostree)
uses libcurl indirectly via librepo, so it's linked in process anyways.

As a first step you might want to subsume SoupURI into libostree as something like OstreeURI.  Then you could convert OstreeFetcher (with OstreeURI arguments) to an interface with separate libsoup and libcurl backends.

I'm working on the fetcher/pull stuff for GSOC, so I thought I'd pop in here. The project, if you aren't aware, is to fetch in a separate (unprivileged) process. The verification will remain in the main process, so a hijacked fetcher can't just write arbitrary data. Ideally, it will be cryptographically impossible for an attacker to hijack the update process.

Yep, looking forward to this!  I have no plans to do much right now wrt libcurl/libsoup
until your work lands obviously.  But if as you go along there is an opportunity to make
things more abstract with a libcurl backend in mind, please do!