Re: gnome-continuous: speeding up "builddisks"

On Wed, 2016-08-31 at 14:52 +0100, Will Manley wrote:
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016, at 14:37, Owen Taylor wrote:
 1) Do the ostree operations outside the container on the host
    filesystem, then copy the entire results into the container.

    The main problem with this is one of filesystem ownership: as
    non-root, we can't create files with the ownership that will be
    needed inside the VM.

I'm not sure if it's relevant to your usecase but I've been using
fakeroot as part of my buildsystem involving ostree to avoid having
to sudo.  The combination of fakeroot and rsync might work for your
usecase.

Thanks for the suggestion - fakeroot removes most of the hackiness of
this. Tip for anybody trying this - to make this work, it's necessary
to use fakeroot with SYSV ipc (on Fedora fakeroot-sysv, not fakeroot.)
The TCP version produces performance that is even worse than guestfs.

With fakeroot, the time for initial creation using this method
increases from 1m40s to 2m4s, but is still competitive with anything
else.

- Owen