Question on ostree-init

Hi all,

I've been looking at OSTree and reading about it for quite some time now.

At some point I had this idea of using a statically linked init
process that does a pivot_root() and then execv() to the real init
instead of having to integrate with initrd and bootloaders and I
thought it would solve a lot of issues and remove a lot of assumptions
on the system it runs on.

However, I afterwards discovered that this was how OSTree worked
initially and the now abandoned ostree-init[1] project. So my question
is, what lead to that decision and what are the disadvantages of the
static init process?

Thanks in advance

[1] https://github.com/GNOME/ostree-init