Re: Push to remote repo

So the public repo would have to pull from multiple builders?

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 6:56 AM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 14, 2015, at 12:24 PM, Dan Nicholson wrote:

This to me is entirely orthogonal. If someone wants to push out binaries
they built on their laptops, they can find a way to do it. We _are_
trying to push from a clean builder, it's just that I want the builder
to be on a different server than the public repo. Since we're also
building ARM binaries, this would mean that the public repo would need
to be hosted on the same ARM machine, which seems entirely unnecessary.
In fact, we have multiple stages of public repos, and moving between
them is currently a pain.

I agree it is a pain.

This again assumes that the builder and the repo host are on the same
machine, which seems unnecessarily restrictive. Currently, we pull the
latest commit from the public repo to maintain history, make a new
commit on top of it, then rsync the entire repo back to the public
server.

It's this last step that I'm suggesting can be replaced by
having the public repo do a pull via static http.

Additionally, we could make it easier to pull, then re-commit
with the existing binaries, but make a new commit.

This would then change the flow to:

1) Private builder does a fresh build/compose without reference to public repo;
    You now have a commit without a parent and binaries on the private repo,
    let's call it 98ea6e4f216f2fb4b69fff9b3a44842c38686ca685f3f55dc48c5d3fb1107be4
2) Public repo pulls that branch/commit (could be exact commit if using
   a messaging system)
3) Public repo creates a new commit, reusing the binaries, equivalent of:
    ostree --repo=repo commit -b myos
--tree=ref=98ea6e4f216f2fb4b69fff9b3a44842c38686ca685f3f55dc48c5d3fb1107be4
4) Public repo now has 98ea6e4f216f2fb4b69fff9b3a44842c38686ca685f3f55dc48c5d3fb1107be4 as
   an unreferenced commit, so `ostree prune --refs-only` would GC it.