Re: deltas, history pruning vs GPG

Hi Colin,

Colin Walters <walters verbum org> writes:

An important and large part of the OSTree problem domain boils down to getting files from A to B across the
Internet securely.

Obviously, many software systems out there approach this, but if you add in a few characteristics:
 - Servable over plain static HTTP
 - Content is managed as versioned immutable snapshots
 - Unidirectional flow
 - Focus on executable code

That eliminates things like Dropbox, rsync, git, etc. in the sense
that while some some components of those projects might be
useful, they're sufficiently different that implementation choices
would vary significantly.

The general class of project then falls into:
 - Package systems
 - Language/App updaters
 - Basic images (ChromeOS)
 - Complex images (Docker)

This is also the same problem domain that is a focus of:

http://theupdateframework.com/

Which I've been looking at again.

Basically, what I'm wrestling with now is whether or not deltas are GPG signed
individually.

I've just start looking into this gpg+updater, and to get the discussion
alive again, so please forgive me in case I miss something obvious :-)

I tried to find an use-case where signing deltas would be desirable but
I couldn't imagine any.  What would be the advantage of signing the
deltas over signing the commit?

I would keep the deltas as nothing more as a "distribute new files in a
more efficient way" and not duplicate functionalities.

IMHO, signing only the commit gives a lot of flexibility, especially as
more signatures can be added later and have a sort of chain of trust
(host B gets the commit from A, with the commit signed by A.  B signs
the commit and distribute it to C, which has to trust only B).

Regards,
Giuseppe