Re: ostree and fontconfig

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015, at 10:06 AM, Daniel Drake wrote:
It would make more sense to have the fontconfig
cache at (say) /usr/lib/fontconfig/cache, where it will be included in
ostree updates. There is a fontconfig ./configure argument to set
this.

Right, see:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-continuous/tree/manifest.json#n139

Secondly, even though the fontconfig cache is now shipped in the
ostree, fontconfig rejects it. The fontconfig cache files are
per-directory, and each cache file embeds the mtime of the directory
it was generated against. If the mtime embedded in the cache does not
match the directory mtime on the system, it goes ahead and regenerates
the caches in the user's home directory - no different from the
original problem.

I think we may need to recommend that build systems ensure that
file timestamps are 0.  This is related to the "reproducible build"
projects going on, e.g.:

https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds/Howto#Files_in_data.tar_contain_timestamps

In this vein, we could add a parameter to gtk-update-icon-cache
to treat input directory timestamps as 0, regardless of the tempdir
cache.  Alternatively, build systems could recursively set the timestamp
to 0.