Re: systemd landed

I tested this, but did not go very far.
First of all, I had my /etc/fstab from the distro copied to /etc for
/home and /boot, but systemd doesn't like remounting / on ostree, so
it would jump to emergency mode straight away. To make things extra
fun, -.mount is before systemd-journald.service, so nothing was logged
(syslogd has no .service file, so it's not even started), and
emergency.service would just loop because there is no /sbin/sushell.
In Fedora /sbin/sushell is provided by initscripts, so maybe we still
need a gnome-initscripts module?
Once passed that, I reached a black gdm screen. At first I thought it
was some component crashing, except that journalctl was completely
empty, and systemctl status gdm / loginctl session-status gdm had half
of the gdm greeter session each. Reading the few debug logs I got, it
seemed that all dbus session bus communication was blocked, and thus
the shell crashed trying to talk to gnome-session.

This actually brings a more general problem: where do we report
"integration" problems for ostree, such as missing packages or
dependency issues? Is it right to reuse the ostree product?

2012/9/10 Colin Walters <walters verbum org>:
> I've pushed commits to poky and gnome-ostree to do the systemd switch:
>
> https://github.com/cgwalters/poky/commit/a1c4e77596ffb8e634016aea37d96c54196c548a
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-ostree/commit/?id=5f8465c3b6b276dc33dc89fc67c678835065edc6
>
> Works here in a local build and qemu, I'll have the ostree.gnome.org
> builder work on it overnight.
>
> While this isn't perfect, I think I'd rather get things mostly working
> in a new state rather than try to change everything at once.
>
> Incidentally, OSTree is great for doing UsrMove - you don't download
> changed files, stuff just gets hardlinked in a different place, there's
> no evil hacks to move files around, and it's all fully atomic to
> upgrade!  Win.
>
> As far as the system state, note that for the moment you will need to
> log in as root and start gdm manually:
>
> systemctl start gdm

Should we ship a preset file, and have a trigger that does "systemctl preset"?
It depends on the ability to do systemctl outside of systemd, though.

> Also, the terrible "ginitscripts" hack which asked you to make a user is
> gone now too.  You have to log in as root and run:
>
> useradd foo
> passwd foo
>
> Where "foo" should typically be the same username/uid as from your host
> system.

Maybe it's time to enable gnome-initial-setup, so that we can actually test it?
If one wants, he can still setup the uid and home directory to share
with the host system. Btw, I believe on the majority of Fedora
installations out there it doesn't work out of the box because /home
is on a separate partition which is not mounted automatically at
startup.

> One other thing I should highlight: "ostadmin" is now "ostree admin".
>
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/ostree/commit/?id=fa5485c6c4e77a0d161a502d3efb806d6d803f19
>
> As far as what doesn't work - I need to work on ensuring that /var is
> initialized with empty directories (e.g. /var/log/gdm).  Previously this
> lived in ginitscripts, so if you have an old deployment it will boot,
> but fresh ones won't.

systemd-tmpfiles?

Giovanni