Installer

On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 01:05 +0300, Andres Gomez wrote:
> Xan (López) pointed us (Adrián and me) in this direction with the idea
> of helping to build the "GNOME OS Installer"

Following up from my previous mail, particularly on the subject of an
installer:

* At a high level, what makes me uncomfortable a bit is that it's a
  lot of work that directly competes/overlaps with "distributions"
  as they exist today.  That's not to say it doesn't make sense
  to do - it does.  I just want to be able to maintain an "elevator
  pitch" for what we're doing in GNOME for someone who is running
  Debian or whatever today.  If we can say the effort is about
  improving quality in the tarballs/git repositories in GNOME,
  that helps.

* In order to do this, we need to be building kernels, and fixing
  up the GRUB management.

* Deciding whether the installer is a live system or not is extremely
  important.

* Should keep it extremely simple - partition disk,
  lay out filesystem tree, install bootloader, reboot into initial
  setup

* To what degree are you considering reusing existing code?