Re: [orca-list] how come Orca master in Ubuntu 22.04 is 42.0

Hi Milton,
On 9/13/22 11:21, Milton via orca-list wrote:
I recently upgrade my Dell laptop 6430 from Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04 and have Orca master running. View days ago I check the version of Orca master by pressing Orca+F and I heard 43-rc before it was 43-beta. Today after updating Orca master says 42.0. Is this only on my machine or do I miss something?

I'm also running Ubuntu 22.04. I just updated Orca a minit ago, and see "43.RC" as the version number. I think the problem
you're having is that Orca is being installed into the wrong python directory. Orca is installing into
"/usr/local/lib/python/<your-python3-version-here>/site-packages". Ubuntu expects it to be  installed into
"/usr/local/lib/python/<your-python3-version-here>/dist-packages".
The easiest way to fix this is to remove
site-packages, and replace it with a symlink to dist-packages.
If you would like, you can paste the following script into a file called "update-orca.sh". This script tracks
your currently available python3 version, makes sure all dependencies for Orca are met, pulls the latest version from
Git, and builds and installs Orca for you.
Please note: Your orca source directory needs to be "~/sources/orca". Or, you can modify the code to meet
your needs. Also, this script only works on Debian-based systems (Debian, Ubuntu, Raspbian, etc).

### Script Starts Here###
#!/bin/bash
# update-orca: Update the Orca screen reader from source
#    Copyright (C) 2020-2022  Jeremy Lincicome
#    <https://jlappliedtechnologies.com>  <admin jlappliedtechnologies com>
#
#    This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
#    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#    the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
#    (at your option) any later version.
#
#    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
#    GNU General Public License for more details.
#
#    You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
#    along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
#
# Script Start
echo "Starting the Orca update"
cd $HOME/sources/orca
sudo -k
sudo -p "To install Orca, your password is required.
Please enter your password to continue: " echo "Password accepted"
sleep 0.5s
echo "Checking that all needed packages are installed..."
(sudo apt-get -qq -y build-dep orca;sudo apt-get -qq -y install libatk1.0-dev) &
wait
echo "Done"
sudo -v
echo "Downloading the latest sources..."
git config pull.rebase false
(git checkout -f;git clean -f) > /dev/null
git pull &
wait
echo "Done"
echo "Creating make files..."
pyversion="$(python3 --version | cut -c 7-11)"
pydirectory="/usr/local/lib/python$(echo ${pyversion})/"
[ -d "${pydirectory}site-packages" ] && (sudo rm -rf "${pydirectory}site-packages"&&sudo ln -fs "${pydirectory}dist-packages"
"${pydirectory}site-packages") || sudo ln -fs "${pydirectory}dist-packages" "${pydirectory}site-packages"
PYTHON="$(python3 --version)" ./autogen.sh
echo "Done"
sleep 0.5s
echo "Building Orca, please wait..."
make -j $(nproc --all)
echo "Done."
echo "Finishing installation..."
sudo make -j $(nproc --all) install
sudo -k
spd-say -S -C
(echo "Orca update complete";spd-say -S;sleep 0.5s;spd-say -w " orca update complete")
spd-say -S -C
(echo "Orca restarted";spd-say -S;sleep 0.5s;spd-say -w " orca restarted")
sleep 1.5s
orca --replace &
echo "Done"
sync
exit 0
### Script ends here###

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please let me know.
--
Sincerely,
Jeremy Lincicome W0JRL