Re: [orca-list] Are we Flutter yet?

I forgot to add, my configuration is Ubuntu Mate 20.04 64-bit, Orca
built today from source.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 17. 1. 2022 o 1:14 Rastislav Kish napísal(a):
Hello list,

a recent article on It's FOSS

https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-22-04-release-features/

about changes in the upcoming LTS release of Ubuntu has stated, that
22.04 is going to use the new Flutter based installer, which has been
worked on for quite a some time as far as I remember.

Thus I wondered, what is the state of the Flutter accessibility and how
usable is it.

I've switched my Flutter SDK to the master channel and upgraded to the
latest version.

Then, I built a very simple calculator app - one window with two text
fields for entering numbers, a dropdown menu for selecting operator and
a button for calculating the result, displayed below the form.

The results were... Interesting.

First of all, the accessibility either works or not.

Like... One time I launch it and nothing, I can be pressing tab,
clicking on the interface, but Orca simply doesn't recognize the window
elements (though flat review sees the text, interestingly, although only
in the particular window visit i.e. if something changes, the change is
not reflected unless I switch to another window and back).

But, in other cases, either right after launching the app, or after some
switching and tabbing, Orca finally manages to get a grip of the
interface and it works... mostly.

I can't see the content of text fields, but the navigation works,
pressing buttons works and (to my surprise) even the dropdown button
works (and quite nicely!).

One peculiarity is, that all buttons for some reason present themselves
as unavailable, even though they work as expected.

Another interesting thing I've found out is, that when the app is not
accessible, when I change its state to maximized or back, in a time
window of few seconds, when I press tab, Orca speaks the newly focused
element.

Any further tabs or simply missing out the time frame makes things
silent again.

Of course, it is possible I made a mistake somewhere when coding the
app, I have no previous experience doing Flutter projects, in fact, I
did thisone mostly to get a grip of the framework and explore the new
trends.

Though the result looks ok as far as I can tell, I've checked with
OCRDesktop and the elements are visible.

Plus, the official example Hello world app behaves in the same way, so
this seems like a general problem.

Thus, I wonder, what's the official state of Flutter accessibility on Linux?

And where should we report bugs like these?

There were discussions about this on GitHub, namely:

https://github.com/flutter/flutter/issues/23601

and

https://github.com/flutter/flutter/issues/73819

Both of which are closed as of now with the topic considered to be
solved and new issues supposed to be about specific problems.

The former mentions Linux several times, though, just in form of tags
except the first and last mention, while the latter does not mention it
at all and neither of the following issues seem to be related to Linux
Flutter accessibility.

So far I've found.

Does anyone have more information on this topic?

I'm not sure whether Ubuntu Mate is going to use the new Ubuntu desktop
installer. It would be nice to have it working properly (unlike in case
of the last LTS (grin)).

Best regards

Rastislav