Re: [orca-list] Accessibility related happenings at gnome

Many thanks Peter for sharing. Great to know! As an end user the less I can do is to donate.

Milton

Op 04-08-2022 om 09:47 schreef Peter Vágner via orca-list:
Hello,

Sometimes we are ranting here about less optimal accessibility features and accessibility work in general. This time I just would like to point out that brighter days are ahead of us and a lot is already happening these days, weeks and months. Less than two weeks ago Federico Mena Quintero gave really awesome presentation at GUADEC 2022 in Guadalajara, Mexico explaining how he is trying to help gnome forward improving development of accessibility related features. See the blogpost including all the links and a full transcript of this talk: https://viruta.org/paying-technical-debt-transcript.html

Federico Mena is part of gnome since its begining. Worked for Rethat in the past, now working for Suse / Novell. Maintained gnome canvas, gimp and a lot of gnome infrastructure. Now this person is working very hard on accessibility related improvements for gnome.

Now it's our turn I believe. While accessibility is being advocated for within the community as a whole we users should try to boost this effort as much as we can. If we were able to improve the situation by filing bug reports, submitting patches, coordinating the effort earlier this would never happen. Now the accessibility related work is happening right now so we should try to make it sustainable as much as we can. Please find your way and donate to this effort. I have chosen to donate to Gnome at https://www.gnome.org/donate/ to celebrate my appreciation. If you can, do it too. I think any amount counts towards improving it as a whole and since accessibility related development is high on the todo list, we will get what we are looking for as the gnome and the linux desktop in general improves further.

Federico Mena Quintero is not the only one working towards this goal. Long time accessibility contributors are there too including Emmanuele Bassi, our hero Joan Marie, Samuel Thibault, Lukáš Tyrychtr and many more talented and dedicated people. Please let's celebrate and let all these people know that we like what they are doing and are here to support them and allow them to do what they can do best.

Thanks and greetings

Peter