[orca-list] Compiling speech-dispatcher from git

Hello everyone,

I installed ubuntu 20.04 lts on my laptop for the first time and I have some questions regarding speech-dispatcher.

I found out that the version of speech-dispatcher is used there is 0.9.1. I wanted to update it to get such things as selecting espeak-ng variants and other new features and possibly fixes.

I tried to compile the speech-dispatcher from git following install instructions from here:

https://github.com/brailcom/speechd

I installed all needed dependencies, run the command ./build.sh, then I run the command ./configure, then make all and sudo make install.

When typing speech-dispatcher --version it says speech-dispatcher 0.11.rc4, but I don’t know if that’s true in fact.

When trying to switch variants in espeak-ng it didn’t have any result.

I tried to remove the speech dispatcher based with ubuntu by typing:

Sudo apt remove speech-dispatcher.

And perform the installation process from git again.

But After restarting the machine I have no speech, orca never speaks.

There are no errors while compiling, it says something like pulseaudio libao to be compiled.

What did I do wrong?

Maybe it is a better idea to use ubuntu 21.10 non lts version to have newer dependencies and software?

Do I understand correctly that before installing the compiled from git version of software I have to remove the old version that comes with the system?

Thank you in advance!

--
Best regards,
Vsevolod