[orca-list] can't log in

Hi,
well I tried accessing my getmail folder in ubuntu-mate's home on the desktop and it would not let me in.
So I did an ls -l on the ~/home/mail folder, and two of the folders were root and one was ubuntu-mate.
So I tried chown -R on ~/mail and on the sub folders as well to be sure.
Like this:
sudo chown -R ubuntu-mate /mail
I got no errors.
Nothing worked, so I thought since logging out and back didn't help either, I'd restart.
So now I cannot log in, either in the desktop, or via SSH.
It's like either it changed the user name or the password.
Any ideas?
This is ubuntu-mate live.

Thanks.

Glenn