Re: [orca-list] Why is key echo on by default?

I think a user would be familiar with their keyboard layout since most keyboards have the same layout based on their specific region and localization. What they may not be familiar with is Orca or Linux commands. At this point, there are several options available. First being input help mode, where the keys on the keyboard are spoken as they are pressed. The added benefit is that input help refuses to pass the command to the operating system or application, saving grief if someone pressed the wrong key combination 😊. I depend completely on Orca output and turned it off the first day I tried Orca. So, my vote is to have key echo turned off by default.

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list <orca-list-bounces gnome org> On Behalf Of Joanmarie Diggs
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 11:38 AM
To: Jace Kattalakis <khalfang1366 gmail com>; orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Why is key echo on by default?

Hi Jace.

A user who needs key echo enabled (i.e. because they are not totally familiar with the layout of their keyboard) might not be able to enable it themselves in Orca preferences if they do not know what keys they are pressing as they attempt to get into Orca preferences.

As someone who can touch type, and also happens to be sighted, that setting is the very first thing I turn off in a new set up because it annoys me. But I don't think it would be a good, upstream default to change key echo to off by default.

That said, I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. :)

--joanie