Re: [orca-list] Turn RST boot mode off in termanl?

Hello,

As per this paper: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-papers/rst-linux-paper.pdf
It should be possible to manipulate RST volumes on linux with mdadm.
It has been written almost 10 years ago, so I don't know if its still applicable today though. Here is another explanation that it should be possible to get this thing working: https://superuser.com/questions/349552/sharing-an-intel-rst-between-windows-and-linux

If I were you I would try booting a live ISO of my favorite distro e.g. arch linux and tinker a bit with mdadm scanning for existing raids and similar.
If you can see that raid device there must be a way to install linux on it.
By using mdadm you might be able to dissasemble it, reformat the individual drives, create a new UEFI partition and install, however I don't know if it'll be bootable with that specific bios setup.
I know Dell has some random quirks in their bios.
For example on my desktop computer with Gigabyte motherboard I was able to just enter path to the linux kernel and initramfs into the uefi bootloader by using  efibootmgr however on my Dell laptop this method is not working and I have to use real boot manager systemd-boot in my case.

It's damn tricky to work with this if you have no sighted assistance.
For some simple tasks such as handling the boot menu I am using Google Lookout app on my phone so I can just read the screen of my computer with my mobile phone but for more complex interaction sighted help is really very usefull.

Greetings

Peter

Dňa 4. 3. 2021 o 2:46 John Covici napísal(a):
Perfect use for Aira, I can send you a link to sign up and they can
help you change BIOS settings.

On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 18:52:09 -0500,